06 July 2007

Long Time Steroid Use

I have been taking steroids for my condition, and this has been my more or less 4th week (not consecutively) taking steroids. I took methylprednisolone 16mg twice a day for two weeks and taper it down to 4 mgs twice a day for a week. Then now I am taking prednisone 20 mgs twice a day for a week.

I dread the effects steroids have on me.

First and foremost, the excess flab that adds to my already inflated tummy and my big face. Yeah, yeah it reduces the inflammation of my lymph but then it also attracts water therefore causing me to bloat. But that’s human nature, right? To get fat?

Then here comes the acne. I experienced severe acne attacks on my back going up to my nape; thank God it doesn’t go to my face. And here are some more possible side effects that may happen to me:
· High blood pressure and heart disease
· Liver damage and cancers
· Stroke and blood clots
· Urinary and bowel problems, such as diarrhea
· Headaches, aching joints, and muscle cramps
· Nausea and vomiting
· Sleep problems
· Increased risk of ligament and tendon injuries
· Severe acne, especially on face and back – already have this L
· Baldness

Also, there has been studies showing behavioral side effects such as severe mood swings:

According to Dr. Wadler, anabolic steroids can cause severe mood swings. "People's psychological states can run the gamut." says Wadler. "They can go from bouts of depression or extreme irritability to feelings of invincibility and outright aggression, commonly called "'roid rage. This is a dangerous state beyond mere assertiveness."

Anyways, people around me are sort of not aware of this roller coaster I’m going through. I’m just hoping I don’t manifest as much as it says I would given the long-term use. This condition recurrent; so maybe someday, you’ll see me writing about the same stuff again, complaining of other symptoms. I’m crossing my fingers that nothing fatal befalls me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Template by:
Free Blog Templates